Kscope16: Chicago, June 26-30
Mark your calendars to join ODTUG in the Windy City June 26-30 at Kscope16, which will be held at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers. Ideally situated on the Chicago River and within walking distance of Navy Pier, the Magnificent Mile, and Millennium Park, your only challenge will be fitting in all that Kscope and Chicago have to offer.
Submit an abstract, book your hotel room, and register to attend by September 1 for the lowest possible rate.
Is your company interested in exhibiting? Sign-ups are now open for new sponsors and exhibitors. Find out more here.
Kscope15: It's a Wrap!
By all measures, Kscope15 was a rousing success. More than 1,600 dedicated Oracle professionals attended the event June 21-25 at the Diplomat Resort & Spa in Hollywood, Florida, and the Twitter reviews are outstanding:
"Back home from an amazing #kscope15 conference and once again humbled by the #orclapex community. Thank you @odtug for all that you do!" ~@shakeeb
"Well #Kscope15, I will miss you. The emotional hangover is next, but the inspiration, memories, and friendships will endure. Thank You!" ~@rimblas
"Good bye #kscope15 thanks for the fun, sun and great content - hard to beat!!" ~@Nicholas_Hurt
"#kscope15 was epic! Thank you @odtug #happy #newbie" ~@dbvisitmike
Check out the recap video and subscribe to ODTUG’s YouTube channel to stay informed as more videos are released.
Congratulations to the award winners at Kscope15:
- ODTUG Volunteer Award — Opal Alapat, TopDown Consulting
- Oracle Contributor of the Year — Joel Kallman, Oracle Corporation
- ODTUG Editor's Choice Award — Peter Koletzke, Quovera, Going Mobile: Mobile Application Design Principles for ADF Development
- Kscope15 Top Speaker (It's a tie!) — Gary Crisci, General Electric, Delivering an Enterprise-Wide Standard Chart of Accounts with Oracle DRM, and Anton Nielsen, C2 Consulting, Hands-On Training: Build Something! IOT = Internet + Oracle + Things
- Kscope15 Best First-Time Speaker —Tiffany Ma, University of California, Berkeley, Reporting with Public Sector Planning and Budgeting at UC Berkeley: What We’ve Done and Why It Is So Important to Our Success
The following Kscope15 Top Speakers were also recognized in each track:
- ADF and MAF — Mia Urman, AuraPlayer, What’s in a Word: Mobile/Cloud Terminology for Dummies
- Application Express — Anton Nielsen, C2 Consulting, Hands-On Training: Build Something! IOT = Internet + Oracle + Things
- Business Intelligence — Mark Rittman, Rittman Mead, Bringing Oracle Big Data SQL to OBIEE and ODI
- Database Development — Cary Millsap, Accenture Enkitec Group, Lessons Learned Version 2015.06
- EPM Business Content — Gary Crisci, General Electric, Delivering an Enterprise-Wide Standard Chart of Accounts with Oracle DRM
- EPM Reporting — Tiffany Ma, University of California, Berkeley, Reporting with Public Sector Planning and Budgeting at UC Berkeley: What We’ve Done and Why It Is So Important to Our Success
- Essbase —Glenn Schwartzberg, interRel Consulting, Why Didn’t I Think of That? How Can I Do It in Essbase?
- Financial Close — Chris Barbieri, Finit Solutions, Where Did That Come From? Techniques for Debugging HFM Rules
- Planning — Brian Marshall, US-Analytics, Voiding Your Warranty: The Planning Repository Exposed
Check out these sessions that were available via Livestream from Hollywood. All presentations were recorded this year and will be available to Kscope15 attendees soon at www.odtug.com/tech-resources. They will be available to all individual and corporate members in September.
If you attended Kscope15, don’t forget to share your feedback on the post-conference evaluation. This will allow ODTUG to make Kscope16 even better!
Leadership Program Now Open
ODTUG has long been recognized as an outstanding source for the technical content Oracle professionals desire, but starting today, that’s only half of the story. We’re providing our members with yet another avenue to add to their skills and increase their value to their employer or client. ODTUG is pleased to open enrollment for the third class of the ODTUG Leadership Program.
The Leadership Program is a nine-month journey consisting of monthly webinars on subjects ranging from leadership styles, effective communication, mentoring, and ethics to the challenges of leading volunteers. All meetings will be online. There will be a mandatory opening session in September, followed by monthly online meetings and a leadership project. An attendee may not miss more than two meetings.
The program will also cover the history of ODTUG from its very beginning to the remarkable success we enjoy today. You will graduate more confident and better equipped for that trek from member to leader.
The program is limited to an extremely small group of participants. As a part of the program, participants will receive a complimentary pass to ODTUG Kscope16, where you will bond with fellow participants – all while volunteering, learning more about ODTUG, and attending sessions. You must be a paid member to participate, but the program is free.
Sound interesting? Complete the online application. Don’t wait; enrollment ends August 14.
BI Meetups Planned for Chicago, Minneapolis, and Atlanta
Interested in networking with other ODTUG Business Intelligence professionals? We’ve got meetups in three cities planned:
- Chicago, August 6, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Minneapolis, September 4, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Atlanta, October 15, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Sign up today as spaces are limited.
Oracle APEX Gaming Competition Announced
ODTUG proudly invites you to participate in the first worldwide Oracle APEX Gaming Competition, a brand-new #orclapex community movement. APEX is known as an outstanding transactional application builder, but what if it could do more?
Enter the competition by October 9 and show us what you’ve got! Find rules and more details here.
Nominations Open for Oracle Database Developer Choice Awards
Make your voice heard and nominate an expert in the following technology areas:
- Oracle REST Data Services
- Oracle Application Express
- Database Design
Nominations are open now through August 15. For more information, view this video, check out Steven Feuerstein's blog post, or go to the Oracle Database Developer Awards website to nominate someone you know!
World of Webinars
Thursday, July 16, 2015 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
The Challenges and Pitfalls of Database Continuous Delivery
Yaniv Yehuda, Dbmaestro
The growing business pressure to rapidly deliver new functionalities and applications drives companies to implement practices such as Continuous Delivery. Removing bottlenecks such as manual review and execution of database updates becomes a necessity, but how do they go about that?
This webinar will discuss:
- The adoption of Continuous Delivery
- The reasons why the database is often left behind
- Best practices for Including the database in Continuous Delivery
- The bigger picture – automation and stopping the line
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
Foundations of OBIEE: Administration and Maintenance
Carol Krajewski, interRel Consulting
Best practices in administration and maintenance are key to successful OBIEE rollouts. In this presentation, we'll cover the critical administration topics to help you support your OBIEE environment. Topics include basic administration, security, logging, Enterprise Manager, BI WebLogic Console, and more.
Wednesday, August 26, 2015 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM EDT
Predictive Analytics: Bringing the Tools to the Data
Cuong Nguyen Tien, MindStream Analytics
Predicting the present helps an organization improve its organizational excellence. In other words, it increases efficiency and improves the effectiveness of operations. Oracle Predictive Analytics empowers data and business analysts to extract knowledge, discover new insights, and make predictions—working directly with large data volumes in the Oracle Database. With Oracle Predictive Analytics, you can discover patterns hidden in massive data volumes, discover new insights, make predictions, and immediately transform raw data into actionable insights.